Preparing for notification training
The hardest task a manager will face is notifying an employee of their separation. In this situation, managers must be fair, sensitive, and yet firm. Understandably, managers find this awkward and uncomfortable and are often unsure of what to say or how to react to the strong emotions that are inevitable. Managers provided with notification training will develop confidence as a result of being better prepared, gaining increased understanding of possible reactions, legal rights and responsibilities, and the wider context that frames their actions.
Notification is often an integral part of organisational change, and if improperly handled can have wider implications for all concerned. Lee Hecht Harrison’s Notification Training provides solid support for managers dealing with the separation process.
The LHH training includes:
- understanding responsibilities, objectives and emotions during a notification
- preparing for the termination
- the dos and don’ts of notification
- techniques on how to handle a range of reactions
- strategies for managing and communicating with remaining employees following the notification, and
- practice sessions, where required